The Center for Evaluation and Development (C4ED), Germany, is looking for a Rigorous Impact Evaluation Specialist to join its team of impact evaluators. We are also looking to fill the position of Team Leader (interim) and applicants with experience leading small research teams may also request to be considered for this role.
C4ED’s vision is to make development interventions more effective through impact evaluations and providing evidence-based policy advice. With a strong focus on mixed-methods and quantitative impact evaluations related to sustainable development, C4ED is one of the leading German research centers in the areas of poverty reduction, microfinance, health insurance, education, humanitarian assistance, agriculture, and nutrition. C4ED is currently conducting projects all over the world and maintains research relationships with 3ie, ACTED, GCF, GIZ, IFAD, ILO, IPA, J-PAL, the World Bank, WFP, and UNICEF to name just a few of its cooperation partners.The position involves the following tasks:
- Conducting experimental or quasi-experimental impact evaluation studies with a particular focus on Randomized Control Trials (RCTs)
- Statistical analysis and report-writing
- Preparing project and grants applications
- Provide capacity building
- Conduct and oversee large-scale data collections (incl. high-frequency data checks)
- Ensure project deliverables are prepared on time and are of high quality
- Closely cooperating with local partners
- Set-up monitoring systems
- Project management
- You have a PhD, or will soon defend your PhD in Economics, Econometrics or Statistics. A Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics or Social Sciences with 3-5 years of relevant working experience is considered equivalent to this.
- You have proven theoretical and practical knowledge in impact evaluation methods
- Teaching experience (e.g. university classes or seminars) related to impact evaluation is desirable
- You have proven quantitative skills including conducting primary data collections as well as comprehensive reporting skills (quantitative analysis of data sets and report-writing).
- You have analyzed large-scale survey data, applying methods of causal inference.
- You have already gained field experience and are eager to supervise large-scale household surveys in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Skills in qualitative data collection and mixed method analysis would be a plus.
- Very good teamwork skills and experience with working in multidisciplinary teams as well as with a wide range of individuals from researchers to donors and local partners
- Very good coordination skills, orientation to detail, multi-tasking, and ability to work under short deadlines
- An excellent command of English is a must; French is an advantage, German or other languages are desirable
If you are interested in taking on a leadership role, please mention this in your application.
Additional qualifications required for an (interim) Team Lead role are:
- You should have a first experience of leading small research teams
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to lead an international team consisting of people based in different countries
- Strong intercultural competence
- Some management experience is desirable
- Experience managing budgets is an advantage
You will work within a growing, supportive team of experienced international researchers. The role offers a good opportunity to deepen your expertise in research methodology and general project management skills. The position is based in Mannheim, Germany, and may include travel to research project sites in Asia, Africa or South America. The position is full-time.
We look forward to receiving your CV and cover letter in English, a copy of your University’s transcripts and/or certificates, reference letters and an example of written work in English (job market paper, thesis or similar). For this position, we are only accepting applications that show evidence of a valid working permit for Germany.
Review of applications will begin on 4th October 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For further information and to submit your application, please contact Tanja Topuzoglu (email@example.com). To submit your application, please fill out the questionnaire that you will find under the following link http://careers.c4ed.org and mention the reference DE2209ME.
Please note that we are a non-profit organisation and our salaries reflect this. We offer additional benefits such as a Job Ticket, Sports Card and flexible working hours.